Video Design Engineer
The role is based specifically in the Delivery Design and Technology area. This is a small team who design capabilities and solutions along with technical support
Purpose Of Role:
The role provides a design function within a team responsible for the design of solutions serving UK and International Broadcasters.
He/she will produce and take responsibility for end to end design which includes Video, Audio and Network elements to meet customers’ requirements. These solutions typically comprise of a mixture of ‘off the shelf’ Network and Broadcast technologies.
This role is particularly focused on the encoding, decoding and monitoring of video, audio and ancillary data for contribution services between and within broadcasters networks
Applicants with significant experience of scripting / test automation / Linux / Security and a desire/aptitude to move to a role in the broadcast area are encouraged to get in touch – even if they don’t currently have the broadcast skills or experience.
· To work on technical projects with minimal guidance. This may involve working alone or as part of a wider project team providing design expertise Specifically in the conveyance of contribution / distribution signals over wide area networks (Including IP / MPLS / Fibre). The individual should have an excellent understanding of some and a working knowledge / appreciation of other broadcasting compression technologies used in contribution applications (J2K, TICO, AVC, HEVC, APTX) plus broadcast signals and interface formats such as High Definition, Ultra High Definition, SMPTE 2022, SMPTE 2110, AES-3, AES-67 and DVB-ASI. The role covers all stages of the design process from initial design impact assessments, high level designs, low level designs, governance, architecture and security conformance, test and delivery.
· Input to and develop yearly service roadmaps.
· Develop and deploy engineering plans both from a technology and a capacity management standpoint.
· To continually drive for outstanding Customer Service and Satisfaction, and engender and lead an absolutely customer focused approach to doing business.
· Provide major bid engineering support to Media and Broadcast area.
· Provide 3rd Line support of the Platforms to Operations / Service Assurance if required by the Engineering Service & Development or Advanced Engineering Teams
Works under broad direction.
Full accountability for own technical work or project/management responsibilities.
Receives assignments in the form of objectives.
Establishes own milestones, team objectives and delegates assignments.
Input into supplier selection for small to medium sized projects.
Should ideally hold B.Eng / M.Eng Degree level qualification or equivalent in various vendor areas.
Should have a good level of knowledge of network technologies such as MPLS / IP, BGP, OSPF, Multicasting (point to multipoint within a VPN),.
Must have an appreciation of relevant standards on Video over IP standards associated with the carriage (encapsulation, encoding / decoding) of Video and Audio signals into IP.
Should have an appreciation on Software Defined Networks and the Appropriate Control, Planning and monitoring systems that could be used to configure end to end video flows across an MPLS Network
Should have experience of supporting ITT, Vendor Selection and winning new business activities from a Design perspective.
Should have an awareness broadcast industry developments such as remote production, High Dynamic Range, enhanced audio formats (like Dolby Atmos).
Should have a good awareness of current industry standardisation efforts such as ongoing SMPTE-2110 work, AMWA, JT-NM and VSF initiatives.
Can anticipate internal/external business issues and develops own discipline using own knowledge to focus work and drive improvements.
Has the ability to explain/present highly complex ideas. An ability to grasp new concepts and technologies quickly is highly desirable.
Has excellent communication skills, written, verbal and presentational
Conditions Of Employment
Voluntary terms apply as such there is no relocation support available.