Key Purpose of the Role:
The role is a design function within a team who are responsible for the design of solutions targeting UK and International Broadcasters. This will mean that the designer will need to put together and take responsibility for the full E2E aspects that will include Network, Video and Audio elements of solutions to meet the needs of Broadcasters. These solutions typically comprise a mixture of ‘off the shelf’ pure Network (L3 IP/MPLS & L2 VPN), Broadcast technologies (Video, Audio etc) particularly in the Encoding, Decoding and Monitoring of TV and Audio signals for Distribution services between and within Broadcasters networks.
Key responsibilities of this role are:
- To provide Engineering Design leadership and steer, guidance and support specifically in the conveyance of Broadcast and IP signals using an MPLS/ Multicasting. i.e. L3 IP/MPLS and L2 VPN, Multicasting point to multipoint within a VPN, BGP, OSPF, CoS.
- Develop and agree scope for TV deliveries and designs and recommend scope for more complex and/or new network service feature and platform design activities.
- Define and set-up environment or process to validate the work to produce standardised designs in a range of areas including core TV platform and customer specific TV solutions as well as develop non-standard solutions in some areas in response to customer demand.
- Provide support and information to the wider team including operations, systems and customers.
- Provide Major bid engineering support to the department and 3rd Line support of the Service and Network Platforms to Operations / Service Assurance if required by the Engineering Service & Development or Advanced Engineering Teams
- Works under broad direction.
- Full accountability for own technical work or project/management responsibilities.
- Establishes own milestones, team objectives and delegates assignments.
- Work is often self-initiated.
- Input into supplier selection for small to medium sized projects.
- Contributes budgetary capex build for the designs that are produced
We are looking for an experienced, highly motivated network designer with proven experience in IP networks and Broadcast systems. This person will be skilled in requirements analysis and in the production of customer solution designs. The candidate will be able to deliver designs in a high pressure environment and will work closely with customers and suppliers as well delivery and operational teams to ensure a successful deployment to agreed timescales.
The candidate will have an excellent working knowledge of MPLS / IP networking and understanding of broadcasting technologies including video coding, multiplex and audio systems is desired.
Experience with working with Juniper core routing / cisco routing equipment would be very desirable.
Ideally B.Eng / M.Eng Degree or JNCIS / JNCIP level qualification or equivalent in various vendor areas.
Skills & Experience
The candidate will be able to show clearly the skills and experience outlined below:
- Must have a proven track record of small to medium Network Design and solutions.
- Must have an excellent knowledge of network technologies such as MPLS / IP, BGP, OSPF, Multicasting (pt to multipoint within a VPN), Class of Service with the ability to produce High level & Low level Design utilising various vendor equipment such as Juniper, Cisco and Adva. This will cover all stages of the design delivery milestones from initial design impact assessments, high level designs, low level designs, design governance, architecture and security conformance, test & delivery support to achieve business objectives and benefits realisation.
- Have an appreciation with the relevant SMPTE 2022 standards on Video over IP standards associated with the carriage (encapsulation, encoding / decoding) of Video and Audio signals into IP.
- Experience of supporting ITT, Vendor Selection and winning new business activities from a Design perspective.
- Able to be a lead contributor individually providing direction to others.
- Must have an appreciation on Software Defined Networks and the Appropriate Control, Planning and monitoring systems that could be used to configure end to end video flows across an MPLS Network
- The individual will also have a detailed understanding on audio coding mechanisms.
- To provide in a mentoring-type role and be seen as the Subject Matter Expert within the department
- Input to and develop yearly network and service roadmaps, development and deployment engineering plans both from a technology and a capacity standpoint.
- To continually drive for outstanding Customer Service and Satisfaction, and engender and lead an absolutely customer focused approach to doing business.